Feedback

We are very interested in your feedback!

Please don’t hesitate to get in touch for help with a question or if you wish to share an idea for improving Kanji alive. You can leave a comment for us using the form at the bottom of this page, email us at kanjialive@gmail.com or get in touch via Twitter @kanjialive.

If you already submitted a comment on a web form but never heard back from us please contact us again by email. It’s possible that your message was deleted by our anti-spam filter by mistake.

59 thoughts on “Feedback

1. Henry

Wow, excellent tool. I love the Mnemonic Hints. I’ve been waiting for an app that includes RTK-like hints. Tested in Chrome on OSX 10.8 . Sound examples I wasn’t sure if they were loading or not, as some of the longer ones take a little time to download. Otherwise it’s great. I love the layout!

1. Martynas

I agree that search just by the kanji would be great. Because now it is quite complicated if you want to see particular kanji here.

2. Toukta

Kanjialive is what I am searching for since I have started learning Japanese several years ago. I am really satisfied with this program. Thank you so much. But the point is I can’t click on search button at school, I can only use it at home. At school, I can open the program, but search button doesn’t work at all, nothing comes out from what I want to search for. Could you kindly assist me to find its solution? Thank you.

1. Arno Bosse

Hi Toukta, here are two suggestions to solve your problem. If these don’t work, please contact us again and we can look into it in more detail over email.

If you are using Internet Explorer 8 or 9 as your browser, try turning on its “compatibility mode”. This is explained here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-10 We’ve found that this often solves this problem.

If this doesn’t help, and you can install a different browser at home, try using Kanji alive with Google Chrome (https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/) instead. Google Chrome comes with its own version of Flash which Kanji alive needs to work properly.

3. yasmine

very useful i love it but i was wondering if this includes all the kanji that needs to be learned ?

1. Arno Bosse

Hi Yasmine, thank you for your question.

Kanji alive supports 1235 kanji. Please take a look at our Supported Textbooks page – perhaps your own textbook and the kanji in it are already supported by Kanji alive.

If you want to find out why we decided to support 1235 kanji, please read Section 3 in our Notes for Instructors page. There we explain our reasoning in detail.

More generally, we feel that once students have mastered a significant number of kanji, they have no need anymore for a tool such as ours and can instead use a general purpose Japanese/English dictionary to continue their studies.

I hope this answers your question!

4. Yasmine

Hi sorry for bothering again but while i was learning the kanji for “sky” i noticed that the uts like utsuro isn’t inlisted is it uncommon or what?

1. Harumi Lory

Dear Yasmine,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Some people use 空 for “utsuro” like 空ろ but the correct writing is 虚ろ. That is why “utsu” is not listed for 空.

If you have any more questions, please email us any time.

Best,
      Harumi Lory

5. Yasmine

Hi again :) while i was studying i came across bejing which was written with north and capital but the “he” or “pe” pronunciation wasn’t listed when i studied the kanji for north only “hoku” and “kita” why is that??

6. Harumi Lory

Hi Yasmine,

As a Japanese kanji, the Onyomi of 北 is “hoku” and the Kunyomi is “kita”.

But some Chinese place names are pronounced following the Chinese pronunciations. Since the pronunciation “pe” for 北 is an exception, it is not listed on Kanji alive.

If you would like to know more about the names of 北京, please go to < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Beijing>.

7. alfreeland

Hello,
    I wonder if perhaps I’m missing something. Is there no pronunciation of the specific kanji, but only examples using the Kanji?
    Thanks,
    Andrea

1. hlory

Hi Andrea,

Each kanji has at least one pronunciation. It could be either Onyomi (Chinese reading) or Kunyomi (Japanese reading).

One exception is 々. This is not an actual kanji, but an ideographic iteration mark, indicating that the previous kanji should be repeated. So 々 itself doesn’t have any pronunciation. There are some example usages of 々 in the Example field.

I hope I answered your question. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask us any time.

8. Raev

why no more search by kanji grade? That was so useful…now I don’t know where to start from to study 2nd grade kanji :(

1. Arno Bosse

Hi Raev,

Thank you for your feedback. All of the search options from the old Kanji alive are still available in the current version plus several more (since you can now also search in Japanese). Search by grade can be used via Kanji alive’s “Advanced Search” mode. Try e.g. grade:3

You can learn about Quick Search and Advanced Search in the User Guide (http://kanjialive.com/user-guide/) or, if you prefer, by watching the short demo videos on YouTube (http://youtube.com/kanjialive/). A quick reference guide to all features of Kanji alive and keyboard shortcuts is available inside the app by clicking on the “Info” icon.

I hope this answers your question. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if we can help you further.

1. Arno Bosse

I forgot to add that you can now even combine a search by grade with another search (just separate the two with a space). For example, to find all grade 2 kanji in the Genki textbook:

grade:2 text:genki

An explanation of combined Advanced Searches is also covered in the User Guide.

9. jarod

I like the re design and all, but could you possibly please bring back the old web interface, it made it alot easier for learning through grade level, With this, i am very confused, it’s alot more complicated, Could you possibly put the old interface as a download?

Jarod

1. Arno Bosse

Hi Jarod,

Thank you for your feedback. While we can’t return to the old web interface, fortunately it’s very simple to search for kanji by grade. Let’s say you’re looking for all kanji in Grade 2. Enter this into the search field:

grade:2

Unlike, in the old interface where the results appeared in random order, the kanji are now shown initially sorted by their stroke number. Click repeatedly on the “Sort” icon in the navigation bar to view these results sorted in other ways as well.

Now you can now also combine a search by grade with a search by any other criteria. Say, for example, you wanted to know which kanji were both in Grade 2 and on the AP exam. Enter this in the search field:

grade:2 list:ap

The new interface does require a small investment of time to learn but we feel it will also reward this effort with much better features. I recommend watching the three demo videos on http://youtube.com/kanjialive or at minimum, looking over the Quick Reference in the app by clicking “Info” in the navigation bar at the top of the interface. And don’t hesitate to write to us again if you have more questions.

10. Brianna

I’ve really enjoyed using KanjiAlive to help me study kanji for my Japanese class so far. The only complaint I have is about the animations in place of explanations for some of the characters. For instance, the animation for the progression of the character “青.” I’ve found that the animations can be hard to watch and difficult to understand. You can’t slow them down, zoom in, or rewind, so it’s hard to understand how a character came to look the way it does. I enjoy the explanations for other characters much better, the ones that break each character down into radicals. Please consider changing this in the future, and thank you for creating such a wonderful app for Japanese language study!

1. Harumi Lory Post author

Hi Brianna, thank you for your comment. I apologize for not responding sooner. You’re quite right – the radical animation for 青 is indeed difficult to follow. We’re going to create a new one. If you find any more examples like this, don’t hesitate to let us know!

11. scott elsey

I really enjoyed the demos of this app but, i can not get it to work as shown on the videos. I just uploaded the most recent version of chrome…can you help?

12. Hung Luong

Hello
    I am just recently started learning Japanese and have really enjoyed using the app.
    If I could make a suggestion, how about keeping the search box between kanji searches? It would make searching for kanji more efficient since I won’t have to go back and forth from the kanji page and the search screen. A Back and Forward could be helpful here as well so that I can cycle between previously searched kanji.
    I know it’s a lot to ask but I’d really love such user-friendly features.
    Keep up the good work!

1. Arno Bosse Post author

We agree with you and had already made plans to add this feature to the next version of Kanji alive which should be ready in the autumn. Thank you very much for your feedback!

13. koi

Thank you for making this great app! I have a request, though: Would it be possible to have all the radicals that make up a kanji be displayed? You’re including most in the hints, but for example 静 has the hint: “When young 青 children quarrel 争, father shouts “quiet!””
    Both of the Kanji in the hint could be broken down into separate radicals again, and to have the information which these are would be a great learning help for me.

1. Harumi Lory

Dear Koi, thank you very much for your feedback.

Strictly speaking, a kanji has only one radical. The radical of 静 is 青. 争 is not a radical but a component. Due to the space available in the hints field, an explanation of 争 was omitted. When you look up 争 as a kanji on Kanji alive, you can read the hint for 争 (Open mouth ク hitting an opponent with words; hand with a stick 亅.)

It would be nice to explain every component of every kanji in more detail, but unfortunately Kanji alive can’t do everything. Nonetheless, I hope Kanji alive is still helpful to you for your study of kanji.

14. Anu

Hi,

Thank you for the fantastic app, the only place where I can learn the pictographic reason behind every kanji.

I have a suggestion. Can you please list Kanjis based on their JLPT occurences also ?

1. Arno Bosse

Hi Anu, thank you for your question and your kind words about Kanji alive. We decided not to offer sorting by JLPT levels since the exams changed in 2010 and the JLPT no longer publishes official lists of the kanji required for each level, focusing instead on the more general concept of “linguistic competence”. You can learn more about this on the JLPT website and in their answer to the question “Why is “Test Content Specifications” no longer available after the 2010 revision of the JLPT?” in their online FAQs.

15. bens

Arno Bosse, this online tool’s so great, i’d like to have a pdf version of all characters no matter how much it is.

16. name

From google I was sure that I will be able to write kanji on this site in firefox by using mouse.
    Was I tricked by myself?

17. DEi

Love this site. Especially for the mnemonic hints.
    Use it everyday (that I study). Heh.

Please fix the search box’s finickiness.

18. Joe KomaGawa

Hi, I just found your site because I need help with a part of akanji, I couldn’t find in the list of radicals, or kanji! It has 5 strokes, it is the right side of the kanji for “vinegar”. this is the second time I have seen it in Heisig’s list but I don’t have his book. Can you advise me?

1. Kanji alive

Dear Joe, thank you for your email. I am happy to answer your question.

Are you looking for 乍? It is not a radical but a kanji.
      Radical: 丿
      Kun: なが(ら)

Note: Many online sites say its On reading is サ and Kun readings are なが(ら)and たちまち. However, in Japanese we don’t use 乍 as a word by itself to say “たちまち”. We use a kanji 忽ち (たちまち) instead. And we don’t read 乍 as サ.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to email us any time.

Kanji alive team

19. Bentou

I’m surprised by the amount of useful information your website provides. It’s been quite difficult for me to study kanji, but with this tool I’ll be able to tackle kanji with ease. I was hoping you could show me, or you could include a query string that lists kanji characters not belonging to grades 1 to 6. This will be tremendously helpful for me. Thanks!

1. Kanji alive

Dear Bentou,

Thank you for your kind words about Kanji alive and for your excellent question. You can’t, at present, perform this kind of search directly. That is, you can’t exclude certain categories of kanji from a search in this version of the app. But I’m happy to say that this functionality has been added to the new version of Kanji alive, which is currently under development. There, you’ll be able to find all kanji which aren’t in Grades 1-6 by entering the following search term “grade:na” where “na” stands for “not applicable”.

Since we’re not quite ready to share the beta version of the app with our users, I’ve run the search for you and copied the results (229 kanji) below. It’s at least a partial answer until the new app is ready.

了与々乏互介冗匹双巨占召込払甘伏企充叫芝汚汗忙肌缶舟伺伸即含吹坊床迎沈沢抜抑抗狂戻攻更辛依侮免刺到卓姓征彼邪況泊泥沸抵抱押怪怖昇肯肩杯欧祈突咲封荒逃郊挟狭怒柔枯珍皆冒香倒凍哲埋娘華途涙浮捜捕悟悩恋恥恐脂畜疲眠般軒辱隻乾偶偏婚菓涼渉掃掘描控掛猫患脱瓶盗符粒紹袋豚販軟頃鹿偉募喫堅塔奥帽幅幾弾御遅隅湾渡湿換敢普替腕焦畳硬筒絡越超鈍雇傾勧塗奨嫌寝違溶暇腰歳殿煙触詳詰誇跡較零飽靴僕滴憎概稲端緒踊髪寮影膚範緊舞誰趣輩鋭震駐壊薄避隣濃曇磨賢頼濯燥療齢礎穫贈離騒爆籍響驚

Arno Bosse
      Kanji alive team

1. Bentou

Greetings, Arno Bosse!

Thanks for replying to my comment. About listing the high school level kanjis, I was able to look them up by using grade:”n/a” using your existing Kanji Alive Web App! I’m not sure how you defined the “kanji grade” column data type, but it works! I sort of had a clue by looking at the Excel spreadsheet that you have generously provided to us users for free. Your website is at the top of my list of Japanese resources I’m using to study for N2 (which is a year from now). By the way, I got the same result in the exact same order that you have up there in your reply. Thank you, thank you so much.

20. Shingo Gibson-Suzuki

As a high school Japanese teacher, this site provides another way for my students to practice and revise Kanji in their own time. Another feature you could add (I know it will be time consuming) is to add the origin of each Kanji using pictures/drawing as many of my students are visual learners. But the site is still great!

21. Steve

Thank you very much for Kanji alive!

Kanji alive looks very useful. As a student, I would find it even more helpful if our class kanji lists were searchable in the database. As I know my sensei at the University of Hawaii are very busy, is it possible for me to supply the kanji lists grouped by lesson number, or should it be done by our sensei?

Also, is there a way to access the kanji list for Tsukuba Language Group’s Situational Functional Japanese textbook as used by the University of Vermont?

1. Harumi Lory Post author

Dear Steve, thank you for your comments. Generally speaking, we only accept customization requests from Japanese language instructors (although of course you could always prepare the list yourself and give it to your teacher for review). Please ask your teacher to contact us (kanjialive@gmail.com) for more details. Since your list will, in effect, be representing a part of the Japanese language programme at University of Hawaii, it’s important that it gets carefully reviewed by your teacher, and that any possible copyright issues are cleared-up as well ahead of time.

Regarding the kanji list for Tsukuba Language Group’s Situational Functional Japanese (SFJ) textbook, the kanji list were created some time ago by a teacher at the University of Vermont. After they stopped using SFJ, we dropped it from our search options. If you would like to add it to Kanji alive, please ask your teacher to contact us.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to email us any time.

Best,
      Harumi Lory
      Kanji alive team

1. Arno Bosse Post author

Cảm ơn bạn cho ý kiến của các bạn. Một ứng dụng di động Android đang được phát triển bởi một tình nguyện viên cũng như một ứng dụng đố iOS. Cả hai sử dụng các dữ liệu từ điển từ Kanji sống mà là tự do sẵn có từ https://github.com/kanjialive/data-mediahttps://market.mashape.com/kanjialive/learn-to-read-and-write-japanese-kanji Chúng tôi khuyến khích mọi người sử dụng các dịch vụ này để tạo ra các ứng dụng riêng của họ với các dữ liệu của chúng tôi [dịch với Google].

22. Robert Whittier

Overall, I love your kanji alive app, and can’t thank you enough for all the thought put into it. But glitches happen, and I’m pretty sure I found one. When I view the 2nd grade kanji yellow (黄), which is also a radical, and then view the radical animation, I get the animation for tree rather than for yellow. I can only guess that it arose because both have the kun reading “ki.”

1. Arno Bosse Post author

Dear Robert, thank you for your kind comments and especially also for taking the time to point out what is indeed a glitch. We were aware that a handful of radicals which we had previously (in v1) not been able to distinguish as variants would now have the incorrect radical image and/or radical animations attached to them — but we thought we had addressed the issue. But clearly not. We hope to fix this in the next week or so.

23. Robert Whittier

In general, your mnemonics work very well for me, but sometimes they don’t. The kanji 球 fell into this latter category. No problem with the radical, but “conquer” just wasn’t ‘t an image. Instead, a water droplet skimming across the surface of water (often observed when making filtered coffee) did it for me. The horizontal line is the water surface, and the portion of the vertical stroke above it is the the coffee (or water) pouring in forming the spherical droplet that skims across. And below the horizontal line, we have essentially the kanji for water. You can see this phenomenon also with tradition singing bowls. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qVZ7qgMcLs

1. Harumi Lory

Dear Robert,

Thank you for your comment and suggestion on the mnemonic hint of 球.

Please understand that it is hard for us to create mnemonic hints so that every user is satisfied with them. If your explanations help you remember kanji, all the better! Please use those explanations. The mnemonic hints are just one way to help learners learn kanji.

I hope Kanji alive will be helpful for your study of kanji from now on. If you have any more questions or suggestions, please feel free to email us any time.

Best,